Saturday, March 29, 2014

RECIPE: Chicken, Bacon, and Cheesy Potato Soup


I have another tasty, Cat-Made recipe to share today!
Yay!
I love testing and creating these recipes.
I hope everyone will save this and try it, it is so hearty and wonderful. 



I know that some people like a lot of other stuff in their potato soup, but my recipe is basic and all my own. 
We aren't big celery lovers and my husband doesn't like cooked carrots, so here is what I came up with!
Enjoy!
Cheesy Potato-Bacon-Chicken Soup

Shopping List: (Makes 12 quarts)

3-32 oz Chicken Broth
3- Packages of Velveeta Cheese Sauce
5- Chicken Breasts
6- Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
6- Large Potatoes
1- Stick of Butter
1- Large onion
3-4 Cups Instant Potatoes
1 lb of Bacon, chopped
1 Pint Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste


Cooking Instructions:

Step 1: Melt butter in a 12 Quart stock pot and add chopped onion on medium heat.

Step 2: Add 3 containers of Chicken Broth and refill one with water and add to pot.

Step 3: Cube and add chicken to pot.

Step 4: Cube and add Potatoes to pot.

Step 5: Cut up bacon into small-ish pieces (about half of an inch). I used Wrights Thick Cut bacon.
Brown the bacon lightly in a separate pan, drain, and add to pot.

Step 6: Turn heat to low, and let cook 6-8 hours, or until potatoes are cooked through.

Step 7: In order to thicken I like to use instant potatoes. It's easy, and it doesn't take away any of the cubes of potatoes from the soup. Stir in 2 cups to start with.

Step 8: Pour in Cream and slowly stir in shredded cheese I started with one 2 cup bag, then a second, and then a third, melting them in separately.

Step 9: I buy these Velveeta Cheese Sauces at the dollar store for one buck a piece. You could just as easily buy a block of Velveeta and do the same thing.
Take about 4 cups of soup from the pot and put in a separate bowl. Stir in your Velveeta sauce, or block until it's melted and thick. Add this back into the pot.

Step 10: Now it's up to you how thick you want it, but I added 2 more cups of instant potatoes at this point, and it was just the right consistency. Not too thin or too thick.

Step 11: Salt and pepper as much as you want. I used an entire shaker full of pepper in mine, but I like pepper.

Step 12: Turn off the heat, serve, and enjoy.
I cut up some ciabatta and toasted it for some homemade croutons.  

No comments:

Post a Comment