Saturday, January 25, 2014

My 12 Months of Sewing Challenge

I felt like I was in such a slump last year. I had all these ideas for quilts!
So many projects I wanted to complete.

This year I have decided that each  month I will finish a quilt or at least some project.

Also, once a month I will be writing about some sewing product I try, whether I like or dislike it.
I feel like this is a great way to help other quilters, by sharing my experiences with quilting and sewing products.
It could be anything from a certain fabric, a notion, or pattern.


My January project was the Dala Horse quilt that I shared last post. :)

And the first product I will blog about is one I think most of us are familiar with...
BASTING SPRAY

A lovely alternative or addition to pin basting, there are many brands/types out there, but they don't all work so fabulously.

I have tried a few, and so I have a few small reviews...


The first basting spray I ever used was the June Tailor.
It wasn't the worst I have ever used, but I didn't care for it. 
My main problem was that it didn't hold very well, even for a short period of time.
I had a similar problem with the Sullivans basting spray.

Either of these is great for smaller projects, but I didn't like them for large quilts.

I have also used Dritz basting spray, which I found really sticky and it gummed up my needle.
I wouldn't recommend it. 
I am currently using Mettler Web Bond, which I love. It hasn't gummed up my needle, and it has great longevity. 
It holds larger products and is amazing for applique! 


Last, and the best of all in my opinion is 505. The only problem I have with it.... It's too expensive.
But if you are willing to shell out the big bucks, it's worth it. 
It lasts quite a while, and stays sticky if you have to re-position your fabric, where the others are not as good for that.